- Robert Burrink
Cybersecurity, what can we do?
Here are some startling facts surrounding Cybersecurity:
1) Every 39 seconds there is a hacker attack
2) 43% of cyber attacks target businesses our size
3) 95% of cybersecurity breaches are due to human error
4) In 2018, total cost for cybercrime added up to over $1 trillion
5) By 2020, there will be roughly 200 billion connected devices
What can we do?
Here are a few ideas you are likely aware of but, with those statistics in mind, might lead to a greater appreciation/application as we work throughout the day.
1) Guard and protect your devices
2) As much as we may hate it, use strong passwords (memorable phrases work well), using the standard combination of letters, numbers and special characters
3) Always look to use secure Wifi networks
4) Review your social network profiles and be mindful of information posted online
5) Carefully select online computing services
6) If backups are created and saved, make sure they too are store in a secure location
Additionally, from a personal perspective, it is a very good idea to contact the 3 major credit bureaus and have them put a freeze on your credit report (also known as a "security freeze"). This free tool lets you restrict access to your credit report.
(src: cybersolution.com, ftc and fcc)